Slovak Commission for UNESCO : Basic information
UNESCO is the only international organization within the UN system which is based on cooperation with the network of National Commissions in all UNESCO Member States. National Commissions work together with the Permanent Delegations to UNESCO and the Secretariat on the implementation of programmes and ideals of the organisation.The Slovak Commission for UNESCO is established within the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs.
The Commission and its Secretariat ensure the coordination of UNESCO activities in Slovakia. The implementation of activities of UNESCO international and intergovernmental programmes is done through corresponding Slovak committees for particular UNESCO programmes, specialized Departments and the Information and Documentation Centre of UNESCO in the University Library in Bratislava. The role of the Commission is to promote UNESCO programmes in the fields of education, science, culture, environment and information, and for that purpose the Commission engages in cooperation with various experts from different organizations, institutions and corresponding departments of relevant ministries.
The main duties of SC UNESCO:
1) SC UNESCO is an advisory body of the Slovak Government and of the National Council of the Slovak Republic in all issues concerning UNESCO and its programme(s).
2) It ensures active participation of Slovakia in planning, preparation, realization and evaluation of the individual UNESCO programmes.
3) It informs the general public and the relevant institutions about the UNESCO activities.
4) It coordinates all activities resulting from the cooperation with UNESCO with government authorities, ministries and various organizations.
5) It serves as a link between the UNESCO Secretariat in Paris and the national authorities and institutions, in cooperation with the Permanent Delegation of Slovakia to UNESCO, based in Paris.
6) It promotes cooperation in the field of science, culture and education with other National Commissions.
7) It provides the proposals of suitable candidates to the UNESCO governing bodies.
8) It supports the nominations of the Slovak Republic in connection with the UNESCO World Heritage List, UNESCO Memory of the World Register, and other.